Monday, October 6, 2014

Apple Cider Donuts

Let me tell you about my best friend. GUYS. This apple cider donut recipe. I can't even handle. It's kind of a project, but it's 100% worth it. I don't always fry things, but when I do - I don't even have an ending to that sentence.

Let's face it. We all have dreams of the perfect apple cider donut. Crispy on the outside, but moist (sorry) on the inside. It somehow managed to be both dense and light. And, cinnamon sugar crusted on the outside. But sadly, most of them are dry and cakey. Well, not these bad boys - courtesy of Smitten Kitchen.




Honestly, to be truthfully...truthful...I'm not huge into apple desserts. With the exception of apple strudel, I just don't love them. It's a shock. I'll eat a bite of crisp or a slice of pie, maybe even a cupcake - but I'd rather be eating a peach dessert. But, these. These are a mistake. A big mistake. Because I promise you, you won't be able to eat just one.


I've done a bad thing. These donuts are bad in the best way possible. And by bad, of course I mean absolutely amazing. (Train of thought - would a bad donut actually be a good thing? Because then I wouldn't feel the need to eat them all? No, bad donuts are actually a really, genuinely terrible thing.)


Ingredients:
1 c. apple cider + 1 c.
3 1/2 c. flour, plus additional for the work surface
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
pinch salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 c. granulated sugar + 1/4 c.
2 eggs
1/2 c buttermilk
1 c. cinnamon sugar
Vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
  1. Reduce 1 c. apple cider over medium heat until its about 1/4 c. (20-30 minutes).
  2. In the meantime, combine the dry ingredients (except 1/4 c. sugar) and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time. Add buttermilk and reduced cider. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just combined. 
  3. At this point, you may want to throw the dough in the fridge or the freezer to make it easier to work with. Or, if you're like me, and running late to leave for the weekend while making two pies, you can work with it gently and directly. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into circles and punch out the center (I used a half cup measuring cup and a grapefruit spoon because biscuit cutters are on the long list of things I need to invest in).
  4. Heat a couple inches of vegetable oil over medium heat in a deep-sided pan until it reaches 350. Line a plate (or the counter) with paper towels. Fry donuts and donut holes for about a minute on each side. Remove from oil and put it on the paper towels. 
  5. Mix 1 cup cider and 1/4 c. sugar in a bowl. Dip the donuts into the cider and then directly into the cinnamon sugar. And then enjoy!

1 comment: