Monday, June 30, 2014

NOW READING: The Stand

Guys, I did it! I finally finished Stephen King's The Stand. All 1200 pages. And I loved it. All 1200 pages.

Gotta love a book with a side of cookies

It took months - probably 3 months. But, it was absolutely worth it. I highly recommend the book. The character are engaging, and plentiful. Some I loved, some I hated, some I feared, some I rooted for. Some surprised me - good and bad.

I naively thought the book would largely be about the Captain Trips outbreak itself - and I'll say that (hopefully without too many spoilers) I was (gladly) wrong. Though post-apocalyptic literature typically isn't my thing (I just can't bring myself to read/see the Hunger Games), but I loved this one. I think because it breaks from the typical mode of delivery at least in my mind.

My biggest disappointment in the book is Frannie's character development. She goes from a fiercely independent young woman (a character I always look for and typically love in books) to one who is dependent (maybe even co-dependent, though I won't say to whom). Very disappointing.

But, as I feel any good book (especially Stephen King), there's a balance. While Frannie's development was disappointing, Stu and Larry's was pleasantly surprising. Also, Kojak is my favorite (I may name my next dog this. Followed by Glen Bateman.

Read it. Read it now, and always be looking over your shoulder for The Walking Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment