Monday, November 10, 2014

Veggie Quinoa Breakfast Bowl


So, it's been a while. A long while. Not the longest while though. This combines all of my favorite things except maybe bread, pumpkin, peaches and nutella. So not all of my favorite things - but many of my favorite breakfast things - veggies, quinoa, cheese and crispy fried eggs. But, I blame Gilmore Girls for my absence. It's on Netflix now. It's not my fault. (ok maybe it is),




It's not the quickest breakfast to whip up, but it's worth it. So, worth it. It's such a yummy breakfast - and you don't even have to feel guilty about it. First, cut up all your veggies. And, if you're still getting stuff delivered from a CSA - like we are - put a little bit of everything in it. EVERYTHING.

I just love the contrast of colors in this photo. LOVE.

That crispy fried egg on top - that I learned from Smitten Kitchen. And, my goodness, I will never eat a fried egg prepared a different way again. I'm not sure why the sides folded up, but I don't even care. you notice the purple? It's purple potatoes from the CSA. PURPLE POTATOES. First time I ever had them was in Hawaii a few years ago - what a delicious throw back.

Recipe inspired by How Sweet Eats

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 chopped mushroom
1 slice of onion, chopped
1 very small potato, chopped
1 slice of red pepper, chopped
4-6 broccolis chopped
1 slice of cheese (I used jarlsberg)
1 Tbsp butter
1 egg

Directions:
  1. Cut up your veggies so they're about the same size. Heat oil in the skillet and saute veggies and garlic for 5-6 minutes.
  2. Add quinoa and toast for a few minutes.
  3. Add water and simmer for about 15 minutes (until quinoa is cooked). My pan was so hot that I had to add extra water to finish cooking it, so keep an eye on your quinoa.
  4. Heat up a separate skillet extra, extra hot. Grease the skillet with butter and crack an egg into it. It should sizzle and bubble loudly. This creates fantastic crunchy edges.
  5. Scoop the quinoa and veggies into a bowl. Top with cheese and fried egg. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment