Monday, February 10, 2014

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are the gold standard for determining a baker's abilities in my mind. It's relatively easy to make an average chocolate chip cookie, but to make a great one - one that stands out above the crowd - that takes a great baker. I don't know about you, but I've been known to get bored. That may actually be the understatement of the year. I really enjoy trying new things and I've been known to experiment with the chocolate chip cookie (waffled chocolate chip cookies and giant chocolate chip cookies).

My little sister is a bacon lover. For her birthday, as one of several treats, I whipped up a batch of bacon chocolate chip cookies. Truth be told, I was skeptical. I've been very hesitant to put bacon in desserts (and admittedly, my father and most taste-testers were as well), but the results were honestly better than I imagined. The bacon chocolate chip cookie certainly won't replace a normal chocolate chip cookie in my heart, but I think it has for a few people - and the recipe is surprisingly easy. I followed the recipe on the back of the Toll House chocolate chip bag with a few changes.

Recipe adapted from Nestle Toll House chocolate chip package

Ingredients
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
1+ Tbsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 14-oz package of chocolate chips
1/2 package of bacon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325. Fry bacon until crispy (this is important so it's not gummy in the cookie). Dab away extra grease with a paper towel. Cool and cut into chunks slightly larger than a chocolate chip. Set aside
  2. Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating well to incorporate.
  4. Gradually mix in dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips and bacon.
  5. Drop by the rounded tablespoon and bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment