Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Not Quite Chicken Pad Thai

I've recently become obsessed with pad thai. I have a great friend, who is currently very far away riding a motorcycle back home (please, get home safe!), who first introduced me to pad thai. We were getting carry out to take to a friend's house before a St. Patrick's Day party earlier this spring and couldn't decided what we wanted. He usually gets chicken pad thai and I get red curry with tofu and vegetables. But, we both got a little bored. So, we went halfises. Best choice ever.


Now, I order pad thai with tofu and vegetables at from our local thai restaurant. It feels so indulgent. It's sweet and tangy and savory. And with tofu and vegetables it's even a little healthy. I've been meaning for a long time to try my hand at pad thai, so I could have it whenever I want. But, there's usually a bit of a skirmish over who gets to cook, but I found an opening - so I grabbed it.




But, when my parents (Yes, I live at home and this time they included my ingredients in their weekly list) went shopping, they had a few exceptions to my list. No tamarind and no fish sauce. So, this is my version of not quite pad thai.


Because it was almost like pad thai, but not quite. Everyone in my family liked it better, except me. It just wasn't quite pad thai. Which was ok in our books. Though, I would highly suggest at least doubling the sauce.

Ingredients:
1/2  c. chopped onions
1 red pepper, cut in long strips
3/4 c. carrots, cut in matchsticks
3/4 c. green beans, cut in half
4 Tbsp. canola oil
4 chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1/4 c. chicken stock
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 Tbsp ginger
1/2 Tbsp garlic
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 Tbsp ketchup
1 package flat rice noodles
6 eggs
1/4 c. chopped peanuts
lime wedges

Directions:

  1. Saute chopped vegetables in 1 Tbsp canola oil until tender. Remove from heat. Over medium to medium high heat, sear and saute the chicken, adding canola oil as needed, until brown on each side. Remove from heat.
  2. Mix wet ingredients together. Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Scramble the eggs. Combine all of the ingredients. Serve with chopped peanuts and lime (or other citrus) wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment