Thursday, August 21, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Double Blueberry Muffins


I've said it before and I'll say it again. Blueberries haven't always been my favorite. I used to leave the sad little tin of sad little blueberries out of the blueberry muffin box mix. They freaked me out. Apparently at one point in time I loved them. And, I'm slowly but surely on my way back. I eat them raw, in oatmeal, folded into pancakes, added to lemony cheesecake cupcakes, as hand pies and my most favorite bumpy blueberry pie.


But, there's one recipe that will always be my first blueberry love. These double blueberry muffins are ah-may-zing. The muffin itself is dense and light all at the same time because of a perfect use of buttermilk. They're moist but not heavy. And, there's the perfect amount of blueberries. Double blueberries.


First, you fold in a few handfuls of fresh berries because duh. And, then, the secret - a dollop of blueberry preserves are nestled on top of the batter and topped with a little batter hat.


My real favorite part though comes at the end. Pour melted butter over top of the baked muffins and sprinkle with citrus zest that has been rubbed in sugar. The first time I used lemon, which is classic and delicious. But, this past time I used orange zest that had a very pleasant, bright zing.


Done. Recipe available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment