Monday, October 13, 2014

Apple Slab Pie



I'm so far behind. So so far behind. I have 23 draft recipes to share with you. Probably more than that since those don't even account for most of the food I have photos of. I don't even know how it happens. Yes, I do. Between work and commuting and pretending to have a social life sometimes blogging just falls off the radar. And once I stop blogging for a while, it's really hard to start again.






Not to mention. The number of unshared recipes I have is completely overwhelming. Half of them are summer recipes, so they're not even relevant to share anymore! Basically, what I'm trying to say is I generally cook 2-3 things on the weekend that I 100% want to share with you (many of which end up on my Instagram). But, in an effort to share things you'll actually want to cook and in favor of local and seasonal fruits and vegetables, you really don't want to make peach pie right now. Peaches are really on their way out - and it hasn't been a great peach season anyways.




In sum, I'm trying to post recipes more frequently. Get ready for lots of apple and pumpkin dessert and so. much. squash. And, I probably should have paired this explanation with the apple cider donuts, but oh well. I didn't. Moving on, let me tell you about this pie.




This pie is a beauty. There's something about lines of apples peeking through a crackly crumbly topping. Framed by a golden, flaky, buttery crust. It did not come together quickly. Because I'm easily distracted and because I was meticulously lining up my apples. But, boy oh boy was it worth it. I think its the perfect ratio of crust, crumble and apples. Not to mention the apples are nice and tart, so the cut through the just-sweet-enough crumble. I would say its the perfect bite of apple (until I try those deep fried apple pies I've been seeing - let's be honest, deep-fried anything wins. Unless, it's Oreos. I can't get on board with that one).



Just make it. Just make the pie. It's all at once rustic and impressive. and gorgeous. And 100% delicious.


Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 c butter, cold
1/2 c shortening, cold
1 rounded tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 ish c. ice water

Filling Ingredients:
I used 11 1/2 apples (because I did two layers of apples)
For every 3 apples,
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1 tsp flour

Topping Ingrediens:
1/4 c butter
3/4 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Start with the pie crust. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut the cold butter and shortening into cubes. Rub the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients. Mix enough ice water into the dough until a stiff dough forms - I used about 1/2 cup.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it's a large rectangle that measures about 1/2 inch larger than a 12 x 18 jelly roll pan. Line the pan with parchment paper and place the dough into the pan. Crimp the edges of the dough.
  3. Thinly slice the apples. For every 3 apples, mix in 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp allspice and 1 tsp flour. Line the jelly roll pan with apples so they overlap. I did two layers of apples.
  4. For the crumbly topping, rub the butter into the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Evenly crumble over the apples. 
  5. Bake the pie for 30-40 minutes at 400.


No comments:

Post a Comment