Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Easy Pumpkin Donut Holes


It's not secret that I love donuts. That wasn't the most revolutionary sentence I've ever written. Regardless, it's the truth. And, it's this recipe that got me over my fear of deep frying and lead to these bad boys a few weeks ago. And now, for a fall twist on that fated recipe.



Pumpkin donuts. You heard me. I substituted some of that fat in the original recipe with pumpkin puree because it makes it healthier? Because I can. Because pumpkin. That's why.


This recipe is super easy and super quick. And, definitely something you can share or keep all to yourself. It's the perfect accompaniment to a crisp fall morning and a piping hot cup of coffee in your favorite mug.


For those who don't like pumpkin - I've met two of these people, they apparently exist - be warned this is the first of many. It's all fall recipes from here on out (another thing I should have posted with my first apple recipe a few weeks ago. But, seriously be prepared for carbs, pumpkin and apples. Because it's not basic, it's classic.




I love having a fresh donut in 20 minutes or less - and these hit the sweet, pumpkiny, lightly cinammony spot.



Ingredients:
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves
1 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1-2 Tbsp milk
Oil for frying.
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:

  1. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and spices and 1 Tbsp sugar. Mix in pumpkin puree to form a thick paste. Mix in enough milk to make a soft dough.
  2. Mix 1/3 c. sugar and cinnamon.
  3. Form dough into 1/2 - 1 inch balls and fry about 30 seconds - 1 minute each side. Remove from oil dry on paper towels and roll in cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment