Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (Chipwiches!!)

It's officially summer. And I'm loving it. Thought, my allergies and lungs are not. Meanwhile I'm inside pining to be outside and reminiscing about my happy, allergy-free summers and ice cream sandwiches. I miss having the summer off and running around barefoot as a kid. And those chipwiches. Let's be real. There's nothing better than chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches.

In fact, this past weekend, one of my friends waltzed into a 30s-themed murder mystery dinner party (more on this later, I promise) in a full blown suit holding an ice cream sandwich popsicle of sorts because an ice cream truck went by my house on his way in. It reminded me of childhood. Needless to say, he's a favorite.


Anyways, chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches are so easy to make and so much better homemade. When the cookies are reaaaaaal. To speed up the process, you can throw two cookies in the freezer every time you make a batch and you'll have home made ice cream sandwiches (or chipwiches!) at a moment's notice.

In the photo above, I used a chocolate cookie recipe (which I no longer have. Sad face) and this giant chocolate chip cookie recipe. Stuffed a scoop of ice cream between two cookies and rolled them in mini chocolate chips or rainbow jimmies (sprinkles). They're quite the crowd pleaser. I made these particular ones for a dinner party last summer. (Don't tell, but the actual cookies were leftovers from the night before!)

Be sure to work quick since the ice cream will melt while you are working. I popped them back in the freezer as soon as I could. I highly recommend against trying to stuff all of the cookies at once and waiting to put the completed sandwiches in the freezer.

If only I had learned how to make ice cream last summer. Then they could have 100% homemade. I fear you (and my waistline) will be seeing a lot of homemade ice cream this summer. Between that and learning how easy it is to fry cheater, biscuit donut holes (fresh donuts in 20 minutes!!) and potato chips may have been the best/worst discoveries I've ever made.

Also, it's almost July 4 and I'm super excited about the cake I'm making. Can't wait to show you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment