Monday, July 14, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake (from 1915)

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I have this really cool cookbook from 1915. It's the White House cookbook. I bought it on a whim at a flea market. Well, on a whim is kind of an understatement. I'm always on the prowl for really old cookbooks while I peruse flea markets and thrift stores. I've been particularly looking for old versions of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I have perfectly good new ones, but I want old ones. I just like old things (people included).


Anyways, I literally walked into the flea market saw the book flipped through it for a hot second and decided I absolutely 100% needed the cookbook and could not leave without it. The only problem was that the vendor was no where to be found. So, I stood over and protected my cookbook waiting for the vendor. I waited and waited and waited and finally he came! I paid whatever price he asked for (I can't remember right now - it was all a blur). Basically, I will never be good at haggling. And then it was mine! Boyfriend laughed as I clutched the book with white knuckles and walked around for the rest of the day.


I also found the most legit old bread machine from 1903 that I also thought I had to have. Only problem, it was $75 (outrageous) and I had about $5 to my name at the time. So, I did not buy it. Plus, my parents would kill me. It was kind of large. And dirty. And, I still live at home. So, I did not get the bread maker, but I did get the cookbook. And then I needed to make something out of it!


We just happened to have strawberries on hand, so I picked up some whipping cream. Because strawberry shortcake was the obvious answer. First of all, the recipe is awesome. It was so easy to make and I love the old timey measurements that I've also translated into real life measurements as best I could. I also love that it really forced me to rely on what I know about baking and a gut feeling about what looks good. Because as much as baking is a science, you have to account for variants that a recipe can't always (weight/density of flour, water content of butter, air temperature).


I also love that this recipe creates one giant strawberry shortcake. In fact, shortcake may not actually be the appropriate name for it. But, it was so fun to serve and present. I had never thought of doing it this way. It's not great for leftovers because it all gets soggy, but it sure was worth it!


Ingredients:

2 pints (4 c.) flour
3 heaping tsp. baking powder (actually make them heaping)
a pinch of salt
butter the size of an egg (I think I used 1/2 c.)
Enough milk to make a wet dough (1/2 - 3/4 c.)
1-2 Tbsp softened butter
2 pints strawberries
1/4 - 1/2 c. sugar
Whipped cream (I always go homemade)

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven (I usually go between 375 and 425 - the recipe just says to cook in a "quick oven," how cute is that?!?)
  2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into dry mixture until it forms small peas. 
  3. Add milk 1/4 c. at a time until a wet, but workable dough forms.
  4. Divide the dough into two balls and roll out into two circles approximately the same size. Spread softened butter on top of the two pieces of dough. Then, place one piece of dough on top of the other so the buttered sides are touching.
  5. Bake in the oven for 20-25ish minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and carefully separate the top from the bottom, once it has cooled slightly.
  6. In the mean time, wash and remove the stems from the strawberries. Slice them and toss them with the sugar. Let them sit to release some of their juices. This process is known as macerating them.
  7. To serve, place the bottom half of the shortcake on a serving try. Line with berries. Place the top on the berries. Top with whipped cream and some more berries. Serve immediately.
Note: Since I knew we wouldn't be able to eat it all, I ended up cutting my shortcake crusts in half before adding the strawberries. I would half the number of strawberries and sugar for macerating if you choose to do the same

No comments:

Post a Comment