Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Garlic mashed potatoes are practically a family motto in my house. We live and breathe by them. We’ve all tried our hand at them and honestly can’t pick a favorite way. They’re so quick and easy to whip up that they’re the perfect side for almost any meal.

Most recently, I made them to serve this Dijon Beef Stew over. Best idea ever. I managed to make the mashed potatoes in the last 30-40 minutes while the stew was finishing. I like to leave the skins on red potatoes because it a) saves so much time and I the vegetable peeler I was using had already been put in the dishwasher and the dishwasher had been started and b) it looks so pretty.


Ingredients:
5 red potatoes
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp milk
4 garlic cloves
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Place a large pot of water on stove over high heat and add a pinch of salt. Wash red potatoes and chop into ½ - 1 inch pieces. Peel I clove of garlic. Drop potatoes and peeled garlic clove into boiling water.
  2. Over medium to low heat, roast 3 garlic cloves with peel still on. [Be sure to watch over these so the peels turn golden brown, not blackened. I always get distracted and forget about them, burning a few of my cloves and they turned out fine.] After roasting, peel cloves.
  3. Boil for 15 – 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and garlic. Add butter, milk and roasted garlic cloves. Mash. Add more butter and milk as needed and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment