Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Guinness and Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Ganache

Guys. I have been on a donut KICK. Like I've said before: that donut pan was the best worst decision I've ever made. Anyways, I had a bottle of Guinness leftover from a party - and I'm really not one to drink by myself, so it's just been sitting around for a couple months. Until it dawned on me to kick up chocolate donuts a notch just in time for a St. Patrick's day party. I loved the Sweet Chick's Guinness and chocolate donut recipe - I would have loved to try the dark chocolate version she posted, but didn't have time to run to the store and didn't have them on hand.

They were a huge hit. The recipe makes 2 dozen and I had 4 left over the next morning.


Guinness and Chocolate Donuts
Recipe adapted from The Sweet Chick
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup Guinness beer
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
  2. In a stand mixture combine the flour, cocoa, sugars, and baking powder. Mix on low until well blended.
  3. Add egg and beer, mix on low until completely mixed, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  4. Add milk, oil, and vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
  5. Finally, add chocolate chips and mix just until well distributed.
  6. With a Ziplock bag with the tip cut off, fill greased donut pan with the batter
  7. Place pans in the oven and bake for 7 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and top with chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Ganache
Ingredients:
1 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. milk
3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
3 Tbsp. powdered sugar

Directions:
Melt chocolate and butter. Add milk. Stir in cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Sweeten with additional sugar and thin with milk to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment